Monday, August 26, 2013

Sour Cream Half Whole Wheat Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins for 230 Calories


I don't love most muffins. Blueberry, okay. Lemon poppyseed, whatever. Bran, who even invited you? But I DO deeply love chocolate chip muffins. Really chocolate chip anything can get it in my book. I adapted this recipe from Bakerella and I really love the not-too-sweet-but-instead-tangy element the sour cream brings to the table. As I have mentioned numerous times before, baking is not my forte. So you know if I'm bringing you a baked good recipe, it's pretty damn easy and reliable.


I try to reduce the amount of white flour I consume, and from what I've read you really can't bake with 100% whole wheat without everything going awry. So instead I use a 50/50 mix of white and whole wheat to at least get part of the way to a healthy option. I also swapped in some lower calorie, lower fat dairy options and switched the chocolate to dark to reduce the baked goods guilt even further.

You'll need:
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour 
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/2 tsp salt 
  • 3/4 cup light sour cream
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 melted butter
  • 6 oz dark chocolate chips
Recipe makes a dozen muffins, at 230 calories a muffin

Set the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together both flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the sour cream, almond milk, eggs, vanilla and butter until everything is evenly mixed. Add the flour mixture and fold in until there are no dry patches. Add the chocolate chips. Evenly divide the batter into a lined muffin baking tray. Bake for 18-20 minutes.


I recently made these for a friend's baby shower I hosted and everyone else was obsessed with them as I am. And honestly, for 230 calories with half whole grains and dark chocolate, you're not going to ruin your whole day with this warm, fluffy treat.


I recommend serving with mimosas because that's just what I always do. Life is better with mimosas. I dare anyone to suggest otherwise.


No comments:

Post a Comment