Guys - this slow cooker pulled pork is so, so, so, so, so, so good. And so, so, so, so, so, so easy. And you need to make it, like, yesterday. Bonus arugula and carrot cider slaw if you scroll past the beautiful pork pics to the bottom.
- 4 pound bone in pork shoulder or butt
- 2 yellow onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 oz can chipotle peppers en adobo sauce
- 12 oz jar of Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vingar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Calories: About 370 calories per cup of meat.
You can get chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the Mexican section of your grocery store near the green chilis.
These MAKE the recipe, so choose wisely. Above is the brand I use if it means anything to you.
1) Slice the onions and the garlic and line the bottom of the slow cooker with them. These will caramelize the onions with the pork fat as the meat cooks and holy bajeezus, they are good. Place the roast on top of the onions and garlic.
2) In a small mixing bowl whisk together the rest of the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour this over the roast and cook on low for 8-10 hours. On high you could get this done in around 5 hours but low and slow is the way to go.
3) When you get home from work or wake up in the morning to the most amazing pork smelling house on the block (seriously, I think I locked down another 10 years in my marriage with this recipe alone) the meat will be tender enough to shred with fork. So shred it with a fork and coat it evenly in the sauce at the bottom.
Serve as a meat with the cider slaw on the side or stick it on a toasted potato bun if you want a sandwich.
Bonus Carrot and Arugula Cider Slaw
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1.5 cups arugula
- 2 tbs olive oil based mayo
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp brown sugar
Whisk the mayo, vinegar, mustard and sugar together in a small bowl and add salt and pepper to taste. In a separate bowl, combine the arugula and grated carrot so they're well mixed. Pour in the slaw sauce, stir and serve!