Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Chicken Skewers with Asian Slaw


Here's a great Thai inspired dish without all the noodles and rice starch you'd usually serve it with. The marinade on the chicken is optional, but if you have the time to throw it in a zip lock bag and stick it in the fridge to make best buddies with the sauce while you're at work all day, it's well worth it.

Let's start with the real centerpiece, the Asian slaw that I adapted from this recipe...



For the Asian slaw you'll need:

  • Slaw base:
    • 1 bag of broccoli slaw (should include shredded carrots, broccoli and cabbage)
    • 1/2 cup shelled edamame (thawed from frozen is AOK!)
    • 1/3 cup cashews, crushed
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    • 2 green onions, finely sliced
  • Slaw sauce:
    • 1 1/2 tbs honey
    • 1 1/2 tbs vegetable or canola oil
    • 1 1/2 tbs rice vinegar (white whine or apple cider vinegar would be OK replacements, but rice vinegar really is best)
    • 1 1/2 tbs peanut satay sauce
    • 1/2 tbs Sriracha (more or less can be added depending on your spice tolerance)
    • 1 green onion, finely sliced
    • 1 garlic glove, minced
Add all the slaw sauce ingredients to a medium sized bowl and whisk. Add to the slaw base and toss. Assemble and refrigerate the slaw for about 15-30 minutes before serving for the best results. That's it. You made your slaw. It's going to be super yummy. Congratulations! This serves 3-4 people as a side. 

NOTES: Broccoli slaw can usually be found near the pre-made salad mixes in the produce section. And please go ahead and buy a bottle of Sriracha. One bottle is almost a lifetime supply, so it's a good investment. Add it to some ramen noodles when you're in an end-of-the-month-I-spent-my-paycheck-at-Zara situation with a little bit of peanut butter and thank me later.

Now... onto the skewers!



For the chicken skewers, you'll need
  • 1/5 pound chicken tenderloins
  • Wooden skewers
  • 2 tbs vegetable or canola oil
  • 1 tbs rice vinegar
  • 2 tbs peanut satay sauce
  • 1 tbs Sriracha sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, smooshed
  • 2 green onions, minced/sliced
  • 1 1/2 tbs soy sauce
  • 1/2 tbs onion powder
  • OPTIONAL - 1 1/2 tbs minced fresh ginger or 1/2 tbs ginger powder
  • Additional peanut satay sauce on the side. I recommend Trader Joe's.
Mix all the seasoning ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Pour into a 1 gallon freezer bag. Add the chicken tenderloins in and toss thoroughly, with the bag sealed shut unless you want to tell a really embarrassing story about getting marinade all over your kitchen because you were super dumb. I've never had anything like that happen to me since I'm perfect, but I'd hate for you to go through what must be a really awkward mistake to make. Refrigerate for at least 90 minutes. 

If you don't have time to marinade, don't bother with any kind of a sauce. I find it just gets burn-y and you barely taste all the spices you're using. If you have a great peanut satay sauced, just coat the chicken tenderloins in a little bit of vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Whatever you do with your chicken, run a wooden skewer through it before you cook it to make dipping easy. Some people soak these before they grill anything, but who has that kind of time?

Either way, this is where I really recommend you have a griddle to place on your stove top. Heat that, or a large skillet if you're griddle-less, over medium and sear the chicken on each side. I usually wait until the chicken looks cooked up the sides before I flip it and cook the other side. This should take about 10-15 minutes. I'll admit I still cut into chicken when I grill it to make sure it's not pink. I'm paranoid, what do you want me to say? I always take the ugly chopped up piece, so I think it all works out. 

Serve together and enjoy. This comes together really quickly and is super healthy. You're welcome!






1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness this recipe was AMAZING! Unfortunately we were out of cilantro, but the slaw was still amazing, can't wait to try it with cilantro next time, it'll be over the top. Thanks for this recipe- definite winner! I recently came across your blog and I cannot wait to try your other recipes!

    ReplyDelete