This is a serious slice of comfort food that's yours to devour in under an hour.
- 1 store bought pie crust
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 4 strips of center cut bacon
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- optional bacon bits and onion powder
220 CALORIES for a 1/8 slice of the quiche
1) Preheat the oven to 375. Push the pie crust into a pie/cake pan.
2) Cook bacon and steam broccoli. I microwaved the bacon between paper towels for just under two minutes and "lazy steamed" the broccoli (chop fresh broccoli into small bites, add to microwave safe bowl, add just under 1/4 cup of water, cover with microwave safe plate and nuke for about 2 minutes).
3) In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Crumble the bacon and stir it in along with the chopped, steamed broccoli. Mix in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, leaving the remaining 1/4 cup aside. If you'd like, add in 1/2 tbs of onion powder for additional seasoning. A lot of quiche recipes include sauteed onions but I don't like the textural contrast, so I went with onion powder and loved the results.
4) Place in oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the mixture has settled and is firm on the top.
5) Pull the pie out and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese on top and shake on some bacon bits if you so desire (trust me, you do). Place back into the oven for 5 minutes so the cheese melts and the quiche is browned.
When it's done, let it sit for about five minutes before slicing. This is great with a side salad or a cup of soup on a cold day, and you've got leftovers to feed you for a couple more meals.