Thursday, August 9, 2012

250 Calorie Lunch - English Muffin Pizzas


The humble English Muffin. 120 calories of nooks, crannies and carb-y goodness. They're a huge staple of my diet and yet only today did I have a revelation: "IT. CAN. BE. PIZZA!"

 "Make a pizza out of it" is my "put a bird on it."

Here's all you need to throw together this quick, easy low cal lunch:

- english muffin 
- 2 tbs pizza/spaghetti/tomato sauce
- 1.5 oz fresh mozzarella cheese 
- 2 tsp basil in a tube
- toppings as you wish!

Some quick notes: a whole grain english muffin is better for you and you know it. For my pizza today I used some jarred spaghetti sauce I had sitting in the fridge, but feel free to use canned pizza sauce or if you really want to step it up (2 THA STREETZ) and make your own marinara, my go to is Mario Batali's 15 Minute Marinara. Then you can have spaghetti for dinner and re-watch the Soprano's and marvel in how Italian you were today. For the cheese, I will always defend fresh mozzarella over the bagged shredded Americanized stuff but if that's your thang you'll need about 2 tbs of shredded cheese. 

Basil in a tube? YOU ANIMAL. My mom (Hi, mom!) turned me on to this kitchen shortcut and I'm obsessed. Fresh herbs are great and all but they don't last very long, especially when you're cooking for one or two. This swap is usually located in the produce section near the fresh herbs and the weird vegan cheese stuff that I used to eat (which still breaks my heart) and it looks like this:


It lasts in your fridge for forever and it's great for making jarred/canned sauce more zesty, adding to a caprese salad or making light dressings. Give it a shot and send me thank you letters via carrier kittens later.

In case you haven't figured out how we're going to put this together it's as easy as:

1) Heat your oven to 400 degrees. 
2) Take your english muffin and put it on an oven safe conveyance of some sort. 
3) Spoon 1 tbs of sauce on each muffin half, stirring in a bit of the basil to taste. 
4) Tear the fresh mozzarella into pieces, place strategically for levels of yum.
5) Add whatever toppings you have around. I had black olives in my fridge so, duh. Toppings add calories but you know math so I trust you'll figure it out.
6) Put that sweet 250 calorie pizza baby you just made into the oven for about 8-10 minutes or until that cheese gets bubbly and the english muffin is brown and toasty.
7) Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. Yesssss Jill used to make these for me. Also I did not know you liked olives but now that I know you do, I am going to request more frequent usage of them in these posts. Nom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another 250 calories easy english muffin lunch - toast the english muffins, top with 1 can drained tuna, add feta and greek olives. Eat and be merry. Less calories if you do it over greens. OLIVES ARE THE BEEEEESSST.

    ReplyDelete